Tuesday 23 June 2009

West Park alone - 29/05/2009

I had some days booked off work, the kids were at nursery and my mission was West Park. Just a walk around the outside as I was on my own.

After stopping off at the local Tesco garage on the way for the staple diet of Urbex of Sausage rolls and a bottle of coke, off i roll to West Park in the sun with the windows open blasting Girls Aloud (as you do). Drive straight onto site and park in car park again.

Decise this time to walk the opposite way to they way I went with Mr Ant and soon find myself greeted with an airing court.

Photobucket

things are looking good.....I take the old crumbly footpath that runs alongside the building, can reach out and touch the building and its beautiful red brick, stopping along the way to take photos of the exterior and ready to poke the lense through any welcoming holes in the boards covering the windows but never came accross any. Shame.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Things are looking really good, I get as close as I possibly can without trespassing to the great hall (or what's left of it after the stupid fucking arsonists ruined it a few years back. You can see from the picture all thats left is the roof thingys. Ignore the building infront of it)

Photobucket

As I walk along I encounter a most wonderful site...Admin. A truely wonderful site and totally overtaken by nature...

Photobucket

I walk away to get a more distant shot and spot some steps. All overgrown and looking interesting, may they lead to Narnia or some undiscovered part of West Park. As Harry Hill would say 'there's only one way to find out......' (I didn't fight though, I walked)

Photobucket

As I walked and found more steps and more steps that song sprang into my head 'we're on the road to nowhere', and indeed that song was right. Maybe it was written about a trip up the steps at West Park, though I doubt this very much.

It just lead to an overgrown patch of grass with tree lining. Very interesting. But at least I covered it and didn't miss it out. The utter excitement of it all.

So I come back down a bit gutted I had wasted my time going up there but then you never know what's there or not there until you've looked. As I approach the 2nd to last set of steps I see near Admin a yellow hi-vis vest. This can only mean one thing, HAMMER TIME (oh oh oh, oh oh, you can't touch this), there he was in all his glory, Mr Security Guard, AKA MC Hammer and he had 2 friends with him. Ginger bollocks and baldy.

They were closely inspecting the building next to Admin and then the fencing and then along to Admin. I decided to hide behind a handy fir tree and watch what they were up to so I walk do to said tree and crouch. Crouching ain't my thing and I had suddenly overcome all paranoid that if I was caught hiding I would look really suspicious so I sat in full view of them on the steps and had a fag.

What a fucking idiot!! That should really be written on my grave when I go...

MC Hammer spots me and starts walking over. Right, what do I do now? Sit or run? Sit because you are not doing anything illegal, chat with him, explain yourself, he might be OK like the guys at Cane Hill.....oh shit here he comes....brain engage mouth properly.....

MCH - excuse me what are you doing'

ANT - having a fag (brain obviously hasn't engaged properly and now it seems I am pointing out the obvious incase he is a bit thick or something)

MCH - why are you here?

ANT - i'm taking photos of the building

MCH - you can't, not allowed

ANT - aww mate i've come a long way to do this and besides i'm not doing anything illegal, see you can look at my pictures (offer him my camera and think to myself 'what the fuck are you doing?')

MCH - where do you come from

ANT - oxford (what the fuck! i'm local and digging a hole for myself though I did think he kight take pity on me) i've driven a long way to take external shots of the building, I wouldn't go inside, i'm not stupid (brain is saying 'shut the fuck up Ant)

MCH - no, no you must leave. Are you alone?

ANT - yes

MCH - you must go. It's not safe for you, lady on your own, the Police will move you on their half hourly check

ANT - (big sigh) ok

MCH - where did you park?

ANT - car park 5

MCH - you go now

ANT - i'm going

MCH - are you Romanian?

ANT - what? do i sound like i'm from Romania (brain is saying to me to mind my language at this point. Not only has he patronised me about being female and alone and not safe for me but now he is accusing me of being Romanian. Nowt against Romaninas but I don't look or even sound like one. I have a South London accent and at the time had red hair)

So off I trot back to the car as quickly as I could hoping perhaps I could go round the other way from the previous trip with Mr Ant. No sign of me being followed which is a bonus. I reach car park 5 and just as I am about to head down the covered walkway MC Hammer appears out of nowhere like the fucking shopkeeper from Mr Benn and tells me I must get in my car and leave and then stands beside my car watching and waiting for me to go. I admit defeat and leave. Muttering a few choice words to him as I do so.

But I wont be beaten and think to myself 'I will find a way in'. I drive around for a bit and then head back and park outside West Park on the road and follow the signs for the public footpath. I find the Staff Sports and Social Club, nothing really of interest, just some glorified portacabin in a field next door to the main hospital.

Photobucket

I then walk for what seemed like miles through some shitty little footpath, getting coated in then odd green caterpillar things that hang from trees and beating my way through the maze of gnats with a handy stick I found. After almost losing a trainer in mud I find access through a battered down bit of fence and then lose my bottle! Fucking wimp, so I turn and head back for the car...but I wont be beaten...

No comments:

Post a Comment