Tuesday 23 June 2009

Atkinson Morley - 26/05/2009

(some historical pictures and info http://www.amhlung.org.uk/Image%20Bank%20-%20AMH%20History.htm )

One of my cousins worked at Atkinson Morley, I go exploring with her daughter sometimes.

It's been out of use since 2003. The CT Scanner is still in there somewhere, old machinery according to my cousin, hence why it was left behind. Seems a shame though as they are expensive machines. It also had a fabulous slab in the Mortuary but aparently someone's had it away on their toes with it.

Photobucket

Went with the kids again, just for an external recee. Saw secuirty going on his rounds with his packed lunch in a Sainsburys carrier bag. How do I know what was in the bag? I had a look when I saw it outside Admin.

There wasn't a great deal of interest or possible access points. Apart from one place that had slides in a box, from St Ebbas (one of the Epsom Cluster). I assume being a brain hospital in it's day that these were slides of someones lunatic brain bits. Lovely.

Photobucket

There was access to this 'hut' they were in, through a ruddy great hole in the side of the 'hut' but having the kids with me I couldn't investigate further. Why are such things left behind though?

While i've been nosing through this window Chops has decided it would be a great idea to cover Boris head to foot in his buggy in rotting blossom. Cheers Chops.

Photobucket

We then walk down a path and find ourselves in the grounds of the Woolfson Centre which is still live, it's a rehabilitation unit for thos who have had brain injuries. Just next door to this I discover what used to be the staff quarters for Morleys.

Photobucket

(all pics can be found at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v89/AnthillMob/Atkinson%20Morley/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment